We all know that Kiwis are delicious, but did you know they’re also a SuperFood which boast an impressive nutritional profile. Here are some of the essential nutrients that kiwifruit contain and the benefits they have on our health.
1. Vitamin C – One kiwifruit contains as much Vitamin C as one orange. This vitamin promotes a healthy immune system and acts as a water-soluble antioxidant to fight free radicals in the body.
2. Vitamin E – The overwhelming presence of this vitamin helps to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure by removing triglycerides (fats) in the blood. Vitamin E also helps to maintain healthy skin, hair, and nails.
3. Potassium – This electrolyte plays a large role in nerve function, muscle control, and blood pressure. The kiwi’s potassium level can promote brain development and function, as well as kidney health, and can help prevent high blood pressure.
4. Antioxidants – In addition to Vitamin C and E, the kiwifruit contains a large array of antioxidants, including lutein, flavonoids and carotenoids. In concert, these antioxidants utilize extra electrons to neutralize radical species in the body. This protects the cell and its DNA from oxidative damage, preventing it from cancers, Alzheimer’s Disease, and respiratory problems, among many more. To learn more about our own Super Antioxidant Isotonic Formula, OPCXtra, click here!
5. Fiber – The dietary fiber present in kiwifruit helps manage blood sugar levels, making them a great snack for those with diabetes.
Convinced in the power of the kiwifruit but stuck on how to incorporate them into your diet? Try adding them to a fruit salad, use them as a yogurt topping, or turn them into a sweet-lime relish if you’re feeling a bit adventurous. If you are looking for more information in regards to other SuperFoods, sign up for our mailing list here and receive email updates to our newsletter!